• Java is a platform independent and ure object oriented programmig language. It was developed by
James Gosling and Patrick Naughton of Sun Microsystems, USA in 1991.
• It was Originally called
OAK and this language was renamed as "Java" in
• This language was designed to be simple and platform- independent(which was not dependent on any particular hardware or operating system) that had been developed with the main objective of making the programming for the internet faster and easier.
• This language has bright future due to its four distinct features, namely object oriented, platform independent, Intenet support and security.
• The java programs developed exclusively for the internet, which are well known as applets can now be effortlessly distributed to many users over the internet.
• In 1++0, the
Sun Microsystems decided to develop special software that can be used to manipulate consumer electronic devices.
• In 1991, the
sun Microsystems announced anew language named OAK, after using the most popular object oriented language C++.
• In 1992, the green project team demonstrated the application of their language to control the home appliances using hand - held device with tiny touch sensitive screen.
• In 1993, the green project team came up with the idea of developing web applets after World Wide Web(WWW) appeared on the internet.
• In 1994, the green project team developed a web browser called
Hot Java to locate and run applet programs or internet.
• In 1995, a programming language called
OAK was renamed as Java. Sun Microsystems had realeased new version of java called JDK 1.0
• The various versions of java JDK 1.0, JDK 1.1, J2SE 1.2,J2SE 1.3,J2SE 1.4,J2SE 5.0,Java SE 6,Java SE 7,Java SE 8 (LTS),Java SE 9,Java SE 10,Java SE 11 (LTS),Java SE 12 were subsequently released.
Characteristics of Java
• The various characteristics of java are follows:
- Java language is both compiled and interpreted.
- java is a platform independent and portable.
- Java is an object oriented language.
- Java is simple and easily extendible.
- Java is a robust language.
- Java ensures extensive security.
- Java is a distributed language used to create and share application across networks.
- Java supports multithreading.
- Java enables interactive programming through graphical applications.
- Java is a dynamic and extensible language.
- Java architecture offers excellent performance.
Features of Java
• Features of Java/Java Buzzwords/ Chracteristics of Java
- Object -Oriented
- Compiled and Interpreted
- Architectural Neutral
- High performance